"No one realizes how beautiful it is to travel until he comes home and rests his head on his old, familiar pillow." ~Lin Yutang

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

prayer for today

this is an anwat-revised puritan prayer from arthur bennett's "the valley of vision: a collection of puritan prayers and devotions".  i thought it was beautiful but changed the dialect to be more personal for myself.

o God, you are incomprehensible, yet prayer-hearing,
known, but beyond knowledge,
revealed, yet unrevealed.
my wants and welfare draw me to you,
you never said, "seek me in vain."
to you i come with complaints, needs, and stresses;
fill me with you...
with a spirit of grace and supplication,
with a prayerful attitude of mind,
and with access into warmth of fellowship,
so that in the ordinary concerns of life
my thoughts and desires will rise to you.
in habitual devotion, may i find a resource
that will sooth my sorrows,
sanctifuy my successes,
and qualify me in all ways for dealing with others.
thank you for making me capable
of knowing you, the author of all being,
of resembling you, the perfection of all excellency,
and of enjoying you, the source of all happiness.
God, attend every part of my grueling and frustrating journey;
for i need the same counsel, defence, and comfort that i did as a baby.
let your Love be more obvious to my conscience,
and more perceptible to those around me.
while jesus is representing me in heaven,
help me to reflect him on earth,
while he pleads my case,
may i show forth his praise!
continue the gentleness of your goodness towards me in blessings.
as i follow you, i find your promises true:
i've been sad, and you've helped me,
afraid, and you've delivered me,
despairing, and you've lifted me up.
your vows are ever upon me, and i praise you, o God!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen!

Anonymous said...

This is the best blog I've ever read! Thanks!!!

aunTelcia said...

I was the one who put "funny."
It was just a joke.
~aT