"No one realizes how beautiful it is to travel until he comes home and rests his head on his old, familiar pillow." ~Lin Yutang

Thursday, January 20, 2011

day 3 & 4 without sweetness

this sugar free challenge isn't nearly as hard as i thought.  day two i was hungry, but found some sugarless munchies... the only thing i'm wanting to pop in my mouth is gum... which they do make "sugar free", so maybe i'll look into that.  or maybe i won't and i'll just quit altogether.  sugar free usually means fake-sugar-added... which i don't like. 
anyway, it's good to know God can help me abstain from stupid things like sugar.  my health is important.  i don't NEED sugar... i don't even WANT sugar... i just eat it. 
back when i was in my first year of college i wanted to see if i could stop eating sweets (much like this challenge, except not public.  not challenged by anyone in particular -although encouraged by my roommate who wanted to do the same.)  it was kinda like a personal challenge.  like me testing myself, "anwat, are you ADDICTED to sweets?!  could you go without them for an extended period of time?!"  it was my way of testing my will-power.  i did fine.  i stayed off of anything that i would consider sweet or a dessert or the likes for about 4-5 months.  when i came home and visited my gramma, she had either her cinnamon rolls, or her cherry pie... and i resisted once.  but then the next time i came to visit she did it again, and i thought, "you know, anwat (because i do.  i do talk to myself), gramma's not going to be around forever.  you're not going to get these cinnamon rolls (or cherry pie, whichever it was) offered to you much longer...  take it while you can!"  so, i did.  and i miss them now.  because she is gone.  mostly i miss her!  but disirregardless, i know sugar doesn't rule my life.  but nevertheless, i eat it and i shouldn't.  so maybe i'll just stop.  i'll miss ice cream ---and gum, it seems--- but it will be better for my health and my kids can look up to me as a healthy example.  that's important. 

next.  start excercising.  yeah... that would be good!  very very good.  .  .  .  one thing at a time.  maybe next month i'll take jillian's 30 day shred challenge.  :)  i'm always up for a good challenge!

Try to remember, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." COMMENT! IT SHOWS ME THAT I'M BEING READ!!!

2 comments:

Jen said...

You're being read. =0)

I'll do a post soon about the gum I chew. It's totally natural and I love it. I'll give you a preview though...it's called Spry. Some stores carry it in their natural sections, but most likely you could find it in a health food store but I order it through www.drugstore.com since I get most of our toiletries through them. Spry at first tasted a little strange but once we chewed it for awhile and then I had a piece of Trident I couldn't believe how chemically the Trident tasted to me now! It was shocking. Anyway, my husband now loves the Spry and my kids prefer it too. =0)Hope that helps.

MamaT said...

yeah! sounds great... i'm totally interested. now just what to do with all my packs i've stocked up on. i didn't realize what a gum-junky i was.