"No one realizes how beautiful it is to travel until he comes home and rests his head on his old, familiar pillow." ~Lin Yutang

Friday, November 25, 2011

putting the thanks back in turkey day

it really irks me when people say "happy turkey day".

we had a blessed thanksgiving, full of things i'm thankful for.  1st, my family.  each and every one of them.  they are each so different, but yet i love them all so much.  2nd, for food God provides for us.  we had a wonderful turkey dinner with mashed potatoes and gravy, candied yams, cranberry sauce, olives, dressing, and rolls.  it wasn't perfect, but it sure was good.  sophie brought over pies for dessert.  we had cherry and pumpkin.  for breakfast i made some pumpkin muffins that were the best muffins i've ever had in my whole entire life!  they were AWESOME!  perhaps i'll make some more and friday food post it today...  3rd, for time with each other.  we spent the whole day just hanging out and enjoying each other's company.  it makes me love my family all the more. 
some things i take for granted.  here's a short list i came up with today when things weren't going "right". 
  1. i'm thankful that usually my car doesn't have a flat tire.  i'm happy that i don't run over screws EVERYDAY.  it's so nice to be able to jump in the vehicle and go where i need... 
  2. i'm thankful that i have a husband that can fix things.  i'm thankful that he appreciates me.  i'm so glad that he is patient.  to expect these things are nonsense!  (i've heard enough "bad husband" stories.)
  3. i'm thankful that my oven works even when the convection option doesn't.  some people don't even have the convection option!
  4. i'm also thankful that 3 of my burners work... 
  5. i'm thankful that we have the means to buy things when we NEED them.  this hasn't always been the case!
  6. i'm thankful for the kids when they obey the first time with a happy heart... to expect more is almost like expecting them not to be sinful. 
i hope you had a happy thanksgiving.  take time to be thankful and not take things for granted...
Try to remember, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

2 comments:

MamaT said...

numero six should read, i'm thankful for when the kids obey... not for the kids when they obey...
oops. my slip up. it wasn't intentional. :P

troybee said...

I'm thankful for my wonderful sisters.