"No one realizes how beautiful it is to travel until he comes home and rests his head on his old, familiar pillow." ~Lin Yutang

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

identity crisis?

some moms have a difficult time coming to grips with their [new] life as a mother.  they feel like they are turning away from who their "identity" and becoming someone else: a mom.  they lead this "boring" life of serving others and putting their needs and wants last (if they indeed have the time to need or want!)
here's my outlook.  besides the fact that i truly LOVE being a mom and serving my husband and children, i haven't lost a single iota of how awesome and fun i am. 

here are some of the mom-things that i love:
  • hugging my kids
  • smooching my kids
  • teaching my kids
  • watching my kids
  • watching them grow
  • seeing them change
  • coloring
  • playing dress up
  • playing lego's
  • tickling
  • playing horse
  • playing tigers
  • playing airplane
  • laughing
  • telling jokes/listening to most jokes
  • walking
  • jumping on the tramp
  • swinging
  • soccer
  • baseball
  • volleyball
  • basketball
  • football
  • tennis
  • racquetball
  • climbing
  • swinging from the rafters
  • driving swervey
  • cooking
  • baking
  • skipping
  • jumping
  • jumping rope
  • hula-hooping
  • racing
  • playing games
  • competing
  • watching others play
  • watching others enjoying life
  • coaching
  • cheering
  • riding bicycles
  • swimming
  • teaching kiddos to swim
  • water play
  • slip 'n' slidin'
  • reading stories aloud
  • cuddling
  • taking pictures of my littles
  • correcting papers
  • helping
  • serving
  • loving
here are some of the non-mom-centered things that i love:
  • laughing
  • outdoor recreation:
  • hiking
  • biking
  • climbing
  • camping
  • rafting
  • swimming
  • cliff jumping (although adejay has accompanied me on one of these excursions)
  • motorcycle riding
  • dirt biking
  • para-gliding
  • traveling
  • road trips
  • driving
  • dry-lake-bed-driving
  • watching ufc fights
  • watching college football
  • watching movies
  • blogging
  • reading
  • studying
  • drawing
  • photography
  • eating
  • cooking
  • baking
  • partying
  • playing games
  • competing
  • spending time with fun people
  • wine
  • champagne
  • sex
  • dates
  • softball
  • volleyball
  • basketball
  • soccer
  • football
  • frisbee
  • any physical game
  • any non-physical game
  • any in-between game
  • cards
  • anything competitive
  • walking the dog and training him
  • writing
this is me.


Try to remember, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

4 comments:

Jen said...

I liked the part of your list that said "wine champagne sex" in that order. =0)

I liked this whole post! =0)

Here's to being mom and also being an individual!

Mandy Goldbach said...

great post to read while being a bit isolated right now with a new baby! cheers to motherhood and womanhood!

Nicnic said...

saweeeet! I liked it a lot!
I don't personally know any moms who have identity crisis or find motherhood boring though, which is a good thing!
also, I didn't know you had para-glided. that is awesome, and you really should tell me more about that!

(and i thought you would LOVE to know that the "word verification" i have to type below is "cardork"
what the what?!

LouisianaMom said...

I like this blog, I have been writing a blog on the same topic in my head for a while ... maybe soon it will make it to the page.