"No one realizes how beautiful it is to travel until he comes home and rests his head on his old, familiar pillow." ~Lin Yutang

Friday, February 20, 2015

Parenting

Parenting is hard.  It sure grows a person, and hopefully that growing is up! When the kiddos are young, the challenge is in consistency and stamina.  I'm certain that consistency is key, but dang man!  It's hard to be consistent 100% 24/7!!!  Sometimes a lady just wants to take some time off, am I right?!  I have no idea how single parents accomplish anything because when my mister comes home and we've eaten supper and the kids are going with their after supper chores, I'm so ready to clock out!  And often I head to my room for some solitary laundry folding.  And often that urge comes earlier... And unfortunately, often that urge is a lot stronger than my desire to raise well-behaved, respectful godly children.  Parenting is hard.
But can I tell you what helps me push through?!  Raising teens and preteens!!!  Parenting is hard, but parenting young adults is downright HARD!  
It is nice to have young adults around helping, but it's only nice if those young adults have been raised up to be well-behaved, respectful, and godly people!  It is stressful when you have to second guess their motives, intentions, and especially their word!  And stressful is a bit of an understatement.  It's heart breaking to watch those you love purposely make unwise decisions.  And heartbreaking is an understatement.  It's irritating to see the world views creep into an unguarded heart.  And irritating is an understatement.  
Everyone tells new parents what a wonderful job they have ahead of them.  Everyone also tells new parents that it's the most challenging job.  Everyone says that raising little ones is tiresome.  Everyone says that the real challenge comes with teenagers.  It seems to be that Everyone is wise.  But nothing and no one can express the truth of the matter.  
And the ONLY thing that keeps this mama sane, patient, loving, caring, and persevering is that Lord of mine!  I trust in Him and His word.  I do NOT believe for a second that anything I've done on my own will make a bit of difference in any of my children's life.  I can hope, but my hope is in deeper issues.  My hope is in Christ and God's will for me, my marriage, and my family.  I am doing my best.  I am struggling.  I am trusting in Him.  
I have to lean on His patience and His kindness.  I have to exercise outward humility with His help.  I have to ask Him to hold my tongue, and to keep my motives (and my anger) in check.  I have use His grace in my forgiveness.  I have to rely on His protection, His  trust, His hope, and His perseverance.  And through Him, I will not fail.  But only through Him.  

No comments: