"No one realizes how beautiful it is to travel until he comes home and rests his head on his old, familiar pillow." ~Lin Yutang

Thursday, August 8, 2013

10 years together

in april of 2002, I met the man who later I would marry. 
at that time I was working at a Harley-Davidson dealership in a small town in south-central Idaho.  I worked in the front of the shop selling clothes and all sorts of H-D accessories.  I think in April I might have been the only employee working up front.  three new employees all started within a few weeks.  two were mechanics and the other one was a second parts guy.  bob, otter pop, and nick.  I had a hard time keeping them straight since I didn't really work side-by-side with any of them.  up until that point we really didn't have a large turnover rate (especially in the guys' departments!)... well, I had only worked there for about a year I guess...
I remember the first time I saw my future husband.  of course he was in his bay in the shop.  I had to go back and ask the service manager, ron, a question.  ron, was a jerk.  he thought, for some crazy reason, that he was God's gift to all things with a vagina.  but he didn't believe in God.  he also thought that being such a gift allowed him the privilege to treat women 1 of 2 ways.  1.) like their eyes were plastered on their chest, making fanTAStic eye-contact. or 2.) like they are absolutely incapable of doing ANYthing.  I liked to return his #2 treatment and throw it back to him... it was easy to do because he was such a pot-head he wasn't very capable anyway. 
anyway, ron was sitting in otter pop's bay going over something mechanical with him.  I excused myself to interrupt them and asked ron the question.  then I asked who the new mechanic was and introduced myself.  we shook hands and then I gave ron a witty little retort to his smart-butt response to my first question.  otter pop laughed.  that caught my attention because although I AM a very funny person, most people don't get me. 
anyway, later I got to know him and then met his cute 3-year-old little red headed daughter and then his mom. 
we didn't really date much because he had a 3-year-old daughter.  we hung out some, but I knew that in may I would move up to the mountains and really had no intentions to come back after the summer job ended.  I was ready to travel the world while growing up and deciding what in the world needed me most (in terms of careers).
leaving him and his cute offspring in may was hard.  we had become pretty good friends.  I liked him.  he intrigued me.  he was (and is) my opposite
so we kept in touch.  and I came back.  and we dated.  and we fell in love.  and 10 years ago today... we got married. 

I am so thankful that God has kept us together.  I am so thankful that God brought us together.  I am so thankful that God made children through us.  God is good and SO IS MARRIAGE.  it's hard, but it's good and i'm everly thankful for this experience.  i'm excited to keep it going until death do us part!


"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." 1 Cor. 10:31

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary, yesterday! Lylyly, M